Your chimney plays an important role in the safe function of your fireplace. Do not take it for granted that your chimney will always work perfectly and never have issues. Chimney repair is more common than some homeowners believe. It is important to know the signs of needing chimney repair so that you can have problems fixed promptly and prevent a home fire.
- Rust – Rust is a sign that there is too much moisture in your chimney. You should never see rust on the firebox or damper.
- Shaling – Shaling is when you get pieces of chimney tile in the fireplace. This chimney tile is a part of your chimney lining and has an important function in the overall health and function of your chimney and fireplace. If pieces are breaking off, then it is time to have your chimney inspected and probably repaired.
- Efflorescence – Efflorescence is the white discoloration that you sometimes find on a chimney, and it often points to a serious problem. Like rust, efflorescence occurs when there is too much moisture in the chimney.
- Spalling – Spalling occurs to the outside of the chimney when masonry starts to fail. You will often notice pieces of masonry at the base of the chimney. Usually this happens over time due to moisture getting into the chimney.
- Mortar Joint Deterioration – The mortar is the material between the bricks on the outside of your chimney. If this material starts to deteriorate, you will get too much moisture within your chimney and further problems will occur due to the increase in moisture.
If you notice any of these problems with your chimney, contact us at Swept Away Chimney to perform an inspection and any needed chimney repairs.